|Seventy-three families of Swiss Mennonites
migrated in 1874 from Kotosufka, Volhynia, Russia. Most of them settled
in McPherson and Harvey Counties in Central Kansas. SMCHA was formed in
1973 to plan for a Centennial Celebration in 1974. Following the Centennial
the organization continued to function with these objectives:
- To collect and disseminate information concerning the spiritual
and cultural history of Anabaptists of Swiss origin.
- Engage in dramatic and artistic activities to better understand
- Offer scholarships and research grants to qualifying college and
- To attempt to interpret and relate in a meaningful way the faith
of our Mennonite forebears to the present and future generations.
- Provide maintenance for the Centennial Monument, the 1943 Marker,
and the Hopefield Cemetery.